Sensitised skin is due to damaged barrier function of the skin that results in irritation. Unlike sensitive skin that is a genetic trait, sensitized skin is a reaction triggered by certain environmental or lifestyle factors and usually occurs over time. As sensitization of the skin is a response to an external factor, it is possible that sensitization may be fully reversed/controlled.
How to Tell If Your Skin is Sensitised?
- Itchy patches
- Uneven texture and rough patches
- Irritation and stinging when you apply products
What Are Some of the Causes of Sensitised Skin?
Sensitised skin can be caused by a few factors such as:
- Exposure to environmental factors (extremely hot or cold weather, chemicals, pollution, dust)
- Lifestyle habits (lack of sleep, dehydration, stress, alcohol, diet)
- Reaction to skin care products or makeup
What Can You Do to Help Soothe Sensitised Skin?
- Don’t use hot water during cleansing to minimize irritations
- Avoid harsh exfoliators and extreme temperatures
- Choose products that contains aloe vera or ceramides can help to soothe sensitised skin
- Choose products that contains evening primrose, vitamin E or shea butter as these ingredients help to block irritants/pollutants from aggravating skin.
- A healthy diet, water intake and managing stress level can also help to restore hydration and comfort to your skin.
Still unsure if your skin is sensitised? Make an appointment for a skin consultation now!