Lumenis M22 Photo Rejuvenation
What is Lumenis M22?
The US FDA-approved Lumenis M22TM Universal IPL module, is able to treat several conditions with a single versatile hand piece. It is the gold standard for IPL photo-rejuvenation and treatment of pigmentation, mild to moderate acne, and many more skin concerns. It can also remove unwanted hair.
The Lumenis M22TM Universal IPL hand piece is designed with 9 ExpertFilters™ tailored to the condition being treated. The computer-enabled filter recognition provides enhanced safety and ease of use. With the Universal IPL hand piece, change ExpertFilters™ in seconds instead of attaching a whole new hand piece. There are also three SapphireCool™ light guides, for large and small areas, maximizing patient comfort with continuous contact cooling.
How does M22 work?
The Lumenis M22 utilizes intense pulses of light to improve skin quality and rejuvenate the skin. The M22 is a new generation of Intense Pulse light (IPL) that uses Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT™) to deliver safe and effective light energy for Photo Rejuvenation. The pulses of light remove unwanted skin pigments, treats skin redness, broken capillaries and rosacea, treats acne, stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin and result in smooth, clear skin. such as the liver, pancreas and intestines.
What can it treat?
- Lightens skin discolorations such as sun/age spots, freckles, port-wine stains
- Lightens blemishes
- Improves signs of aging such as fine lines
- Removes spider veins or broken capillaries
- Evens out skin tone
- Targets and controls mild to moderate acne
- Rejuvenates the skin
Besides IPL photo-rejuvenation, M22 can also perform hair removal. Highly controlled pulses of light are applied to the treated area and are selectively absorbed by the hair follicles beneath the skin surface, which damages the re-growth potential of the follicle.
How is the procedure like?
The treatment starts with a double cleanse to free the skin of the day’s build-up.
Safety eye shields are put over the eyes and a cold gel is applied on the skin
The cool sapphire glass guide is placed on the skin and delivers the Optimal Pulse of Light. The device cools the skin between pulses, reducing the risk of skin damage.
You may experience a stinging sensation as the light is flashed onto the skin but it should not be painful
The whole treatment lasts 15-20 minutes depending on the area being treated.
After the procedure, there may be a mild transient redness. The brown pigments may darken and this will be dropped off within a week. Any broken capillaries may disappear or appear thinner. The skin will look radiance and brighten
The M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation is safe and effective in treating the face, the neck and décolletage, the arms and the back of the hands.
Who is a suitable candidate?
The Lumenis M22 face treatment is ideal for those looking for an effective way to:
- Tackle sun damage other pigmentary problems
- Control mild to moderate acne
- Address vascular pigmentation such as broken capillaries
- Photo-rejuvenate with a gold-standard IPL
It is not suitable for individuals who
- have medical conditions affecting the skin
- have infection, tumor, or wound that has not fully healed in the treatment area
- have darker complexions
- are over-exposed under the sun
- are sensitive to light
- are pregnant women
Is there any downtime and side effects?
There is no downtime and is unlikely to have any side effects.
How often should I do the treatment?
You can enjoy the Lumenis M22 Laser face treatment once every 3-4 weeks.
Are there any pre- or post-treatment instructions?
Follow proper home care advice customised by our therapists. As a general rule of thumb, we always recommend adequate sun protection.
- Avoid sun exposure, including tanning beds. IPL works by medically “wounding” the skin, which is unsafe for recently sun-damaged skin. Stay out of the sun or protect your skin for at least four weeks before your treatment.
- Do not use retinol, Retin A, or glycolic acid (or any chemical peel) 2 days before treatment.
- Avoid alcohol, Alcohol dehydrates the skin, interfering with IPL action, So avoid it for at least two days leading up to your facial.
- Make sure you stop taking blood thinners, aspirin or anti-inflammatories within seven days before your appointment. Importantly, if you’ve taken any anti-acne medication such as Accutane in the past 12 months, IPL treatment may not be appropriate for you right now.